Thursday, April 9, 2009

\\.::=Seven=::.//

I woke up on the couch, with Millie at my feet. I groaned at the grey sky, seeing it snowed more. I loved snow, but it’s not very fun sitting at home by yourself. I got up and decided to make food. I threw in toast and made hot chocolate. I wasn’t a coffee person. After I ate, I laid back on the couch with Millie. I didn’t feel like doing much of anything.
My phone started to ring. Fuck. My mom. I totally forgot! I picked up the phone and turned off the tv and seen it was already two o’clock.
“Hello,” I said taking my plates to the sink.
“Raina, sweetie, how are you?”
“Great, mom, how are you?”
“I’m fine. Me and your father are about to leave in about an hour and we’re picking up Macy and Pat and coming to see you.”
Fucking great. “Okay, sweet. Uh, I guess I’ll see ya soon then.”
“Okay, honey, I love you. Bye-bye.”
“Bye, mom,” I said hanging up. “God, why me,” I screamed. I ran around the house cleaning everything up and hoped into the shower. I didn’t bother with my hair and just scrunched it. I put light make-up on and threw on a pair of jeans and a black tee shirt with some socks.
I vacuumed the house and finished just in time. There was a knock at the door and I knew exactly who it was. Millie started to bark and jumped onto my family as I opened the door.
“Raina!” my mom said hugging me. I’ve been on my own for a year and half, and she freaks out every time she comes to visit. “Your place looks amazing!”
“Thanks, mom,” I said as my dad hugged me. “Hi, daddy,” I said smiling.
“Hey, pumpkin, how are you?”
“Pretty good,” I said as Macy and Pat hugged me. “Hey, kiddos,” I said as they wrapped their arms around me. Macy was ten and Pat eight.
We all sat in the living room and I got everyone drinks. “So, about this date last night,” my mom said with a grin.
My cheeks got red and I smiled widely, “Yeah, what about it?”
“Who was it?” she shouted. “It’s been years since you’ve been on a date with someone else.”
“Well,” I said trying to find believable words. I doubt they’ll believe me if I said I went on a date with Sidney Crosby. “I wouldn’t even call it a date. It was more of an evening out.”
“Just tell us who it was, Raina!” my mom yelled getting impatient.
“Sidney Crosby,” I said quickly.
They all looked at me with a blank face. “What? Come again?” my dad said dumbfounded. He was a huge sports fan and worked for the sports section in the new paper. He could name every player on every team for football, hockey, basket ball, and baseball.
“Sidney. He’s 21, and plays hockey. You might have heard of him, dad,” I said trying to cover up the big deal.
My family was quiet. “He’s the hot one, right?” Macy asked with her head cocked to side.
I couldn’t help but smile. “Yes, the hot one.”
“Raina, that’s a big deal! I mean, you dating again is a deal, but are you sure you want to move on with a hockey star?”
I twiddled with my thumbs. I looked up at her and shrugged. “I’m not even sure if I’m going to date him, guys. I’m scared.”
“Of?” my dad asked.
“Getting hurt or something happening again. And what if Justin doesn’t want me to be with someone else?”
“Raina,” my mom said getting up and sitting next to me, “Justin would want to see you happy. Remember that note he wrote for you? He said to hold back on finding love. He doesn’t want to see you die alone, sweet heart.” I nodded as I started to cry. My mom pulled me into a hug. “Have you told Sidney about him yet?”
I looked at her like she was crazy. “Why would I tell a stranger my personal life so soon? I don’t want him to think I’m so basket case either, thanks. Now, what do you want for dinner?” I said standing up. I wanted to be far from this conversation.

The awkwardness slide by after a while, and they left around nine o’clock. I cleaned up the house and went into the bathroom. I brushed my teeth and took off my jeans and threw them into the basket. I took off my make-up and went to lie in bed.
I stared at my ceiling and sighed. I looked at the clock and it read 11:07. So much for Sid- Never mind. My phone rang and looked at the caller id. Sidney. I got butterflies as I hit talk. “Hello,” I said, trying not to sound too happy, or tired.
“Hey, Raina,” he said quietly.
“Hi, Sid, how are you? What’s up?”
“I’m pretty good, just sitting my hotel room. I’m waiting for Colby to come back with food.”
“Ooh, so I take it as you don’t have much time to talk,” I said with a chuckle, but kind of bummed.
He laughed. “I never have time for myself, but I’ll make time for you,” he said sweetly.
“You’re corny, Crosby,” I laughed. “So, how was the press?”
He sighed, “I’m surprised I still have an arm left. They made people turn off their cameras at one point. It was nuts. This one group of girls tried sneaking into my hotel room tonight. I left to get ice and they like ran after me,” he laughed.
“I would’ve kicked them,” I said, causing Sid to laugh more.
“Are you gonna watch any of the games?”
I smiled. The thought of seeing Sidney sweating, working hard, and… mmmm… “Of course I will. What time?”
“Uh, I think it’s like at 10 there,” he laughed.
“You’re lucky I like you,” I slipped. Oh, fuck.
“Extremely lucky,” he said softly. “So, what did you do today?”
“My parents came over with my baby cousins.”
“Well, that sounds fun. How’d it go?”
“Alright,” I lied. “So, what are you doing now?”
“Just laying here, watching tv. Colby just walked in.”
“Ooh, well, I’ll let you go.”
“Are you sure?” he asked disappointed.
“Yeah, I have to get a good night sleep anyways. I’ll text you tomorrow if you want.”
“Please do!” he said excitedly.
I laughed. “Okay. Good night, Sidney.”
“Sweet dreams. Good night, Raina.” I hung up and plugged my charger in. I laid in bed and looked out of the window. Millie jumped up on the bed and laid at my feet. More snow fell from the dark sky and on to my balcony. It was a pretty lonely night. I guess being alone forever would suck. Maybe that’s why Justin told me just go for it.
Throughout night the night, I couldn’t sleep at all. I would wake up every 30 minutes. I sighed and looked at the clock. Only one o’clock. I picked up the phone and called Sidney. I’d feel bad for waking him up if he was sleeping, but I doubted he was.
“Hello?” he answered with the tv in the background.
“Hey, Sid,” I said acting like it wasn’t a random phone call.
“Is everything okay?” he asked worried.
“Yup, what’s up?”
“Uh, nothing really, sitting around with Colbs. Are you sure you’re alright. What time is it there, like one?”
“Yeah, I just couldn’t sleep.”
I heard a voice yell in the background and ask who Sid was talking to. “It’s Raina,” Sid answered.
“HI RAINA!” I heard Colby yell in the background. I couldn’t help but laugh.
“Tell you’re oddball friend, hi,” I said still laughing. We talked for a good hour and half about goofy things him and Colby have done together. I started to get tried and realized it was almost three. “Well, you have a big day tomorrow. I better let you go,” I said yawning.
“Yeah, and you sound beat. I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”
“Alright, good night once again,” I said smiling.
Sid laughed. “Good night, Raina.” I hung up the phone and my head hit the pillow, and I was out.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Sidney, he's such a sweet heart. I know that I keep saying that about all of the guys, but they really are, both in the stories and in real life.

    Colby... what can I say about Colby? I love him and I miss him and he is my best friend. That about covers it.

    As I said in my last comment, I hope that she can get close enough to tell him of her past so that he can help her. I think that they would be really cute together.

    I can't wait to see what you have planned next.

    ReplyDelete