Saturday, April 25, 2009

\\.::=Ten=::.//

Sidney’s P.O.V.

The next day, I was done with morning skate and was drying off from the shower. All of the guy have been talking about Raina all day and telling how hot she was. But, there was something about her I needed to figure out first.

That’s when Jordan pointed it out.

“So, Sid, have you noticed the way Raina kind of holds back on ya?” he said pulling up his jeans.
I gave him a puzzled look. “Not really. I mean, she’s kind of stiff at times, but she could just be nervous,” I said defending her.
Jordan grinned, “Did you notice the ring around her ring finger?”
I started to tense up and think about it for a second. Ring? I remember seeing a really beautiful diamond one, but I didn’t think anything of it. I’ve been in her house. No one else is ever there, besides Millie.
“Jordan, it could just be something stupid, like… I don’t know, maybe her grandma gave it to her or something.”
“Her grandma,” Marc-Andre laughed. “Dude, that’s an engagement ring.”
I started to get nervous and sweat. Maybe she is engaged and is just playing me. It’s definitely not the first time, that’s for sure.
“I’ll just have to talk to her about it. I’m sure it’s not too much to worry about.”
Jordan chuckled. “Yeah, it’s not too much to worry about. Just don’t think about her screaming some other guys name tonight, and making his breakfast in the morning.”
I glared at Jordan and threw on my coat. “Fuck off, Jordan.” I walked quickly to my Range Rover and dialed Raina’s number.
She answered in a few short rings. “Hello?” she said with kids in the background.
“Hey, Raina, It’s Sidney.”
I heard her voice light up, “Sorry, I didn’t have time to look at the caller ID. What’s up? Thanks for last night.”
I let out a chuckle. “No problem. Thanks for coming. Um, I was wondering what you’re doing tonight after the game.”
“Well, I can’t go out, because of work. I cut it close today.”
I sighed. “Well, can I come over after the game? I kind of want to talk about something.”
I could tell she got nervous. “Um, sure, just call before you come. I don’t want to be sleeping,” she laughed.
By saying that, I got curious wondering if she needed time to hide something. “Alright, well I’ll let you get back to work. See ya tonight.”

Raina’s P.O.V.

I hung up with Sidney and looked at Mel, who was giving me a dirty look. “What?” I snapped. I was getting a short fuse with her today.
“You do know you’re at work, right?” she glared, “And was late on top of it.”
“And you never came in late,” I said rolling my eyes. The day seemed to drag on. I guess the fact I wanted to get home and see Sidney didn’t help. I sat down for the game and got ready to watch the Penguins face the Senators.

Half way through the game, my phone started to ring. I looked at the caller ID and my face lit up. “Hey, Jay,” I answered excitedly.
“Hey, Raina,” he said with a chuckle. “What’s up, girlie?”
“Nuffin, watching the pens game, what about you?” I said getting up to make a pizza.
“Whoa, you’re actually watching a hockey game?” he said surprised.
I kind of froze, not sure if I should tell him about Sidney. After all, Jay was Justin’s best friend. “Yeah, I just wanted to get back into it, I guess. So, how have you been, buddy?”
“Pretty good, school’s killing me,” he laughed. “How’s the day care?”
I sighed. “Same old, same old I guess. How’s Kendra?”
“Great. I’m thinking about asking her to marry me,” Jay said nervously.
My own heart sank. I looked down at my engagement ring that now met nothing. “When you gonna do that?” I asked, really not caring.
“Maybe New Years Eve, when the ball drops,” he said as I turned on the oven.
“Well, I wish you all the luck,” I said sitting back on the couch to watch the game.
“Thanks, so have you been seeing anyone?”
I bit my lip nervously. “Well, kind of.”
“What?” Jay said very surprised. “I was just asking to be nice. Who’s the lucky guy?”
“You won’t believe me,” I laughed.
“Common, tell,” he said wanting answers.
I sighed, with a light laugh. “Sidney Crosby.”
Jay started busting out in laughter. “You’re right, that was a good one. Okay, really who? Brad Pit?”
“Sidney Crosby,” I stated more serious this time. “I met him when I went to set up stuff for the day care. He’s a really nice guy.”
Jay was speechless for a moment. “I’m surprised. You won’t even go for a normal guy. Raina,” he said pausing, “are you sure you’re ready for this? I mean, this is a huge step. Not just for you, but for anyone who would want to date a hockey player.”
“We’re not even dating, Jay. We’ve just been on a few outings, that’s all.
He let out a sigh, “Just let me know what you decide, Raina. I don’t want to see you hurt. I love you, babe.”
“I love you too, Jay Bird,” I said with a grin.
“Fuck you,” he laughed.

We talked for till the game was over and I told him I had to get ready for ‘bed’. I straightened up the apartment and myself. About 20 minutes later, I heard a knock at the door. I started to get nervous and ran to answer it. I opened the door and seen Sidney’s smiling face. Even after the losing game, he was still somehow in a good mood.
“Hey you,” he said pulling me into a hug and kissing my cheek.
“Hi,” I said happily. “Come in, sit down,” I said leading him inside as Millie ran over to him and started sniffing his leg. “You played a good game. I’m sorry about the loss.”
Sidney just shrugged and sat on the couch. “It happens. I’ve been trying to let it go, and stay at the rink, but sometimes I just get so frustrated.”
I nodded and sat down on the love seat. “I know exactly how you feel, Sid.”
Sidney just sat back and let out a breath of air. “So, how was your day?” he said getting comfortable on the couch.
“Same old, same old,” I laughed. “I did get to watch a pretty good looking guy on tv though,” I said giving him a wink.
“Oh yeah,” he said with a grin. “Were you watching Laguna Beach or something?” he said grinning.
“No,” I said sticking out my tongue. “And I’m lucky enough to have that good looking guy on my couch right at this moment,” I said sitting next to him.
Sidney grinned and went to kiss me, but something held him back. “Raina,” he said nervously. “Can I ask you something?”
I knew exactly where this was going, and my heart started to race, and I felt like it was in my head, and started sweating. “Uh, sure, Sid. What’s on your mind?”
He sat back a bit and took a deep breath. “I don’t mean to be prying or nosey, but I need to find something out before I get too attached.”
“I understand,” I said looking down at hands, as I played with my ring.
Sidney picked up my left hand and held it. “I just wanna know if this means anything,” he said nervously.
I started to tear up thinking about it. I knew Sidney wasn’t trying to be an asshole, he was just curious. I took my empty hand and whipped away a tear that started to fall.
Sidney realized I was getting upset and dropped my hand. He whipped away another tear that fell and hushed me. “Raina, I’m so, so sorry. I didn’t mean to make you cry. I was just wondering. I’m sorry,” he said pulling me closer to him.
“I know, Sid,” I said trying not to let my voice crack. “It’s an extremely long story and I’m not sure how to tell you,” I said pulling my knees up to my chest and Sidney put his arm around me.
“You don’t have to tell me if you’re not ready, Raina. I’ll be ready to listen any time.”
“Are you sure you really wanna hear?” I laughed.
Sidney smiled and kissed me. “Of course I want to know, silly. I want to know everything that’s going on in that pretty little head of yours.”
I smiled and sat up. “Well, I guess I should start out by telling you about my family. I’m adopted.” Sidney’s eyes widened in awe and I continued. “My parents were killed in a car accident after we moved back here. My brother, Seth, was killed too. I was put up for adoption by my grandmother because no one could really raise me. The family I was adopted into took me when I was ten. I’m an only child to them, since my mom couldn’t have children.”
“Just a wonder, but why did they adopt an older kid?” Sidney asked interested in my story.
“Well, they were asking about older ones, since they didn’t have a lot of time to spend on a baby, and just wanted the joy of kid. They were asking about some of the kids, and heard about how long I’ve been there and took me,” I said with a light smile. I loved the fact someone actually cared enough for me to take me into their own family like that.
“That’s awesome,” Sid said smiling.
“Yeah, so I grew up in Pittsburgh. Well, when my family was alive, I lived in Chicago for a while because of my dad’s job. That’s when I first seen the Penguins, and they won the cup.”
“Holy shit,” Sidney said laughing. “That’s nuts!”
I couldn’t help but chuckle. “Yeah, it’s crazy. But then I was raised outside of Pittsburgh and had a pretty decent school. By 10th grade, I met a kid, Justin. Honestly, I was in love. He proposed to me our senior year. We were going to go to college together and such. I was going to be a teacher and he wanted to be a kid’s doctor.”
“What happened?”
I took a huge, deep breath, knowing this was going to be rough. Sidney was the first guy I let into my life and was the first guy I was telling this story to. I just had to be strong and try not to cry too much. “It was our senior years, May 15, and Justin and I were on our way to a party. All week, Justin’s parents thought he was doing drugs. His brother was a hardcore junkie, and stole from his friend and hid the shit in Justin’s room. So, Justin had a drug test and it was negative. Kenny, his brother, actually set him up.”
Sidney gave me a weird look. “Why?”
“He was jealous of everything Justin had. I donno, he was just a low life.”
“I can tell. So, what happened at the party? Did he cheat on you or something?”
I shook my head. “We didn’t even make it to the party,” I said tearing up. “I let go of Justin’s hand to text Jay, and all I heard was a gunshot and looked up and seen Justin fall to the pavement.” I started to choke up my words. Sidney just held my hand, not saying a thing. I collected myself and whipped the tears away once again. “Kenny and Matt, the kid he stole from, showed up, and it was Matt who shot him. Justin ended up dying that night at the hospital.”
Sidney pulled me into a hug as I started to cry. “You don’t tell this story often, do ya, Raina?” he whispered. I shook my head as I buried it into his neck. “It’s okay, sweetie.”
Sidney rubbed my back and kissed my head. I sighed and finally pulled my head up. “I’m sorry, Sid. I know I act kind of weird around you, but you’re the first guy I’ve actually let in three years.”
Sidney gave me a tissue and ran his hand through my hair. “It’s understandable, Raina. I’d be a train wreck, myself. Look, if you need me to lay off, or go slower, or even just be a friend, I’ll do that for you.”
I looked up and met Sidney’s gaze and smiled. “Thanks, Sid. I honestly can say I want to move on, and I couldn’t have picked a better person to change my mind.”
A huge smile came to Sidney’s face. He gave me a light kiss and pressed his forehead against mine. “You’re an amazing girl, Raina.” I smiled and started to say something but Sid cut me off. “Talking about depressing things makes me hungry. Let’s see what you got in this fridge of yours.”

1 comment:

  1. What an emotional chapter. I really enjoyed it though. =]
    Sometimes Jordan doesn't know when to shut his mouth, I hope things can be alright between him and Sid.
    I'm glad that Raina told Sid about her past, and that Sid is willing to do whatever it takes.

    Can't wait to see what happens next.

    ReplyDelete